Nu-Edge® Cobalt Chromium Brackets
Setting the standard for metal brackets. Stronger CoCr alloy material. Lower friction. Superior biocompatibility.
Stronger material. Lower friction. Superior compatibility.
Nu-Edge Cobalt Chromium Brackets set the standard for all metal brackets, with friction levels lower than stainless steel brackets of similar design1. Nu-Edge brackets are the first orthodontic appliance to be made of cobalt chromium (CoCr), which provides several advantages over stainless steel.
Setting new standards for low friction
Nu-Edge Brackets set the standard for all metal brackets by providing the following:
- Reduced friction – Using CoCr provides increased surface hardness, reducing friction forces, which are influenced by surface roughness and hardness. CoCr also prevents archwire slot collapse due to occlusal stress.
- Cast vs. machined – Nu-Edge Brackets are cast rather than machined or milled. This produces an exceptionally smooth, precise archwire slot that further enhances the low-friction properties.
- Nickel free – Nu-Edge Brackets are 99.9% nickel-free for sensitive patients, giving you a worry-free, biocompatible treatment option for your nickel-sensitive patients.
- Corrosion resistant – Not only is the CoCr alloy naturally moisture-resistant, but the addition of PrimeKote® exclusive to TPO®, further protects the metal from corrosion.
Some prescriptions are available with vertical slots that accept auxiliaries up to 0.46mm (.018″). Recommended auxiliaries are power pins, rotating springs and individual root torquing auxiliaries.
Nu-Edge Cobalt Chromium Brackets are available in MBT, Roth, High Torque 0.56mm (.022″) and BioTech.
PrimeKote® polymer technology
Nu-Edge Brackets are coated with a patented PrimeKote polymer interface to improve bond strength and provide fast and easy clean up. PrimeKote is an advanced polymer technology that offers unsurpassed performance, providing a more durable bond between the metal mesh base and bonding adhesive providing:
- Contamination resistance – PrimeKote absorbs minimal amounts of moisture while the chemical interaction occurs. It is part of the bonding reaction which occurs as a result of combining the bonding adhesive with the chemically enhanced bonding base.
- Expiration-free surface seal – Protects against oxidation that continues as the product is stored for future use.
- Simplified debonding – The chemically treated bonding surface provides a strong bond to the metal base. This chemical enhancement ensures maximum adhesive transfer during debonding. Enamel clean up is limited with more adhesive transferring to the bonding base.
Enhanced bond strength, simplified clean up
Unsurpassed in performance, PrimeKote technology ensures bond durability and simplifies the debonding process to finish treatment faster. PrimeKote creates a chemical bond so that adhesive clings to the base of the bracket at debonding2.
Longer shelf life
Brackets treated with PrimeKote have been shown to retain initial bond strength even after two years3. The surface seal prevents oxidation so brackets are ready for treatment when you are.
PrimeKote is available on the following products:
- Nu-Edge® Brackets
- Tip-Edge PLUS® Stainless Steel Brackets
- Ultra Low Profile Tubes
1. Redlich M. Mayer Y, Harari D, Lweinstein I. In vitro study of frictional forces during sliding mechanics of reduced friction brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop July 2003; Vol 124:p.69-73.
2. Devanathan, D. PrimeKote: A method to improve bracket bond durability.
TP Orthodontics, Inc., 1999
3. Devanathan, D. and Chudzynski, J. Technical evaluation of a new orthodontic bracket. TP Orthodontics, Inc., 1997.